Translate

Sunday, May 26, 2013

"Roll And Tumble Blues" & "Rollin And Tumblin" (Sound Files & Lyrics)

Edited by Azizi Powell

This post showcases a sound file of the Blues classic "Roll And Tumbled Blues" and two song files of the Blues classics "Rollin & Tumblin" which were adapted from that song.

These songs are presented in the order of their recording & are by Hambone Willie Newbern, Muddy Waters, and Elmore James. The lyrics to these versions are also included in this post.

The content of this post is presented for folkloric, entertainment, and aesthetic purposes.

All copyrights remain with their owners.

****
FEATURED EXAMPLES & THEIR LYRICS

Example #1: Hambone Willie Newbern - Roll and Tumble Blues [1929]



wisdomisbetter, Uploaded on Jul 9, 2011
-snip-
LYRICS - ROLL AND TUMBLE BLUES
(Hambone Willie Newbern)

And I rolled and I tumbled
and I cried the whole night long
And I rosed this morning mama
and I didn't know right from wrong

Did you ever wake up
nd find your dough‑roller gone
And you wrings your hands
and you cry the whole day long

And I told my woman Lord
[just] before I left her town
Don't she let nobody
tear her barrelhouse down

And I fold my arms Lord
and I [slowly] walked away
Says that's all right sweet mama
your trouble going to come some day

Source: http://www.elyrics.net/read/h/hambone-willie-newbern-lyrics/roll-and-tumble-blues-lyrics.html
-snip-
Tern Explanations:
your "dough roller" = your female lover

"don't she let nobody tear her barrelhouse down" = don't let her have sex with anyone else.

****
Example #2: Rollin' and Tumblin' Part 1 and 2 - MUDDY WATERS

jsystevo007, Uploaded on May 25, 2009
If the river was whiskey.....................i would be diving thru!

Classic muddy...parts 1 and 2 for your convenience!

-snip-
Summary from Muddy Waters - Rollin' & Tumblin' ( Chess 1950 )



cojwat, Uploaded on Apr 25, 2010

Recorded in the year 1950 at Chess label. There is also other versions of this song here in YouTube, but they are all worth of listening. Muddy Waters is the Father of Chicago Blues and absolutely one of the greatest blues musicians.

I hope owners of the rights want to see this as an honor to this artist, which it really is. And same goes to these random photos, paintings and artworks, which I have found from net.
My hope is that everyone can just listen to this fine musician. Enjoy!

Its so nice, that you can still buy these recordings on CD!
-snip-
LYRICS - ROLLIN AND TUMBLIN
(as performed by Muddy Waters)

Well, I rolled and I tumbled,
Cried the whole night long.
Well, I rolled and I tumbled,
Cried the whole night long.
Well, I woke up this mornin,
Didn't know right from wrong.

Well, I told my baby,
Before I left that town.
Well, I told my baby,
Before I left that town.
Well, don't you let nobody,
Tear my barrelhouse down.

Well, ahh, mmm-hmmm,
Owww, oww ooo, aww, oww, oh.
Aaa, mmm-hmmm, oww, oh oh oh
Owww, oww ooo, aww, oww, oh.

Well, if the river was whiskey,
And I was a divin duck.
Well, if the river was whiskey,
And I was a divin duck.
Well, I would dive to the bottom,
Never would I come up.

Well, I could a had a religion,
This bad old thing instead.
Well, I could a had a religion,
This bad old thing instead.
Well, all whiskey and women,
Would not let me pray.

Source: http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/m/muddy_waters/rollin_tumblin.html [reformatted]

****
Example #3: Elmore James - Rollin' and Tumblin' [1960]



shortrax, Uploaded on Aug 18, 2008

Fiery version of the blues standard by Mississippi slide guitar legend Elmo. It is basically the same tune as Robert Johnson's Travellin' Riverside Blues, but even that was not the earliest version.
-snip-
Click http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecwW2fX1Yew for a sound file of Robert Johnson's Travelin Riverside Blues.

Also, click http://www.lyricsmania.com/traveling_riverside_blues_lyrics_robert_johnson.html for the lyrics to that song.

****
LYRICS - ROLLIN AND TUMBLIN
(as performed by Elmore James)

I roll and I tumble,
cried the whole night long
Yes I roll and I tumble,
I cried the whole night long
I got up this morning,
feeling that something going on wrong

Well now want you to love me baby,
or please let me be
Yes love me baby,
or please let me be
If you don't like my peaches
please don't shake my tree

Well I want you to love me baby,
and come on and say you'll be mine
I want you to love me baby,
come and say you'll be mine
If you don't like my potatoes,
please don't dig up my vine

Source: http://www.lyricstime.com/elmore-james-rollin-and-tumblin-lyrics.html [reformatted]

****
ACKNOWLEDGEMENT AND THANKS
Thanks to these Bluesmen for their musical legacy. Thanks also to the publishers of these sound files on YouTube, and thanks to the transcribers of these lyrics.

Thanks for visiting pancocojams.

Visitor comments are welcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment